This is a great summer dish that only requires a bit of stovetop heat to get the job done. You can serve up the pan-fried paneer and green beans with a dash of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon, or you can opt to add a garlic and herb chimichurri for extra flavor.
If you're feeling adventurous, you can even make the paneer from scratch.
Pan-Fried Paneer & Green Beans
- 8 ounces paneer, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon each of turmeric, red chili powder, cumin, and coriander, salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt
1) Blend all the spices and salt together in a medium bowl. Mix in the cubed paneer to coat.
2) Heat the vegetable oil in a saute pan until it is shimmering and and just starting to smoke. Place the paneer cubes in one layer in the pan and fry on each side for 2 to 3 minutes until browned. Remove the paneer from the pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
3) Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. While the water is boiling, trim the ends from the green beans and fill a large bowl halfway with ice water.
4) Drop the beans into the boiling water and cook until bright green, anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes. Transfer to the ice water to stop the cooking. Drain the green beans and set them aside on a clean kitchen towel.
5) Melt butter in a medium skillet or larger pot, such as a Dutch oven, set over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the garlic and cook until it starts to brown, about 2 minutes. Toss in the green beans and stir to evenly coat. Toss in the paneer cubes.
6) Remove from heat and finish with extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Serve with garlic and herb chimichurri (optional, recipe below).
Garlic & Herb Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 3 Tablespoons fresh oregano
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, or more, to taste
- ½ cup good-quality olive oil
1) Add all ingredients to a food processor except for the olive oil and pulse until chopped. Add the olive oil in a slow and steady stream while continuing to pulse the food processor. You may need to stop to scrape down the sides of the container occasionally to make sure it's an even blend.
2) Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 3 days.