The addition of watermelon in this tomato gazpacho soup recipe makes for a crisp, hydrating cold soup chock full of electrolytes and a touch of sweetness. Tangy crème fraîche and optional lime salt give this gazpacho depth of flavor.
Tomato-Watermelon Gazpacho Recipe with Crème Fraîche
Tomato season is in full swing! You can enjoy the full effect with this gazpacho recipe. If you're feeling even more adventureous, you can make your own crème fraîche via our FREE Fresh French Cheesemaking Class, found here (click to 5:35 in the video for the instructions on that).
2 lbs ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cucumber (approximately 1 pound), peeled and chopped
- 2 small shallots, coarsely chopped
- 4 parsley stalks or basil stalks, plus more for garnish
1 lb cubed watermelon (approximately 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or sherry vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
Pinch of lime salt
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
For the Gazpacho
For the Lime Salt
- Preheat oven to 225°. Mix salt and lime zest until well combined; spread into a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 2) Bake until mixture is dry, about 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Place the tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, bell pepper, shallots, basil and/or parsley in a large bowl.
Stir in the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Puree the tomato mixture in a blender, in batches if necessary.
Strain through a fine-mesh sieve or cheese cloth into a bowl, pressing to extract any liquid.
Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
To serve, top the soup with the small herb leaves, a drizzle of creme fraiche, and a pinch of lime salt or regular finishing salt of choice.
To get a nice swirl on your creme fraiche like the image above, you can use a squirt bottle, and dilute the creme fraiche with a little bit of cream or milk so it's easier to control.