I am still madly in love with the salad that Sarah E Crowder made for Cheese Grotto last spring. It is absolutely gorgeous and made from ingredients all fresh from the farmers market, prepared and placed in a bowl.
She used her favorite Hemp Seed Dressing from Edible Perspective, but she used fresh chive instead of basil or parsley.
- 1 head of Red Romaine, washed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 8 strawberries, washed and sliced
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 8 chive blossoms, submerged in a cold water bath to clean
- 4 to 6 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 1/3 b 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 medium cloves garlic,roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper
- small handful fresh chive
Place all ingredients [except chive] in a high-powered blender and blend on low working to high until smooth. Scrape the sides and blend again. Taste and add more lemon juice/zest or s+p if desired. Add in basil and blend for another 5+ seconds until finely chopped and incorporated. The dressing will seem thin but thickens after sitting for 5-10 minutes and even more once chilled. Store in a jar in the fridge sealed for 4-5 days. Stir before using and thin out with a bit or water or lemon juice if needed.
I encourage you to try this simple, amazingly delicious salad recipe. You will not regret it. Happy Spring!