If you're entertaining, these cheese straws liberally sprinkled with Pepper Crush's Islahiye Pepper will satiate your guests upon arrival. They are excellent paired with sparkling white wine or pinot noir.
This recipe is by Pepper Crush Founder, Elif Nur Dogan.
1. Parmesan Cheese Straws
- 2 sheets (1 box) frozen puff pastry, defrosted overnight in the refrigerator
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon Islahiye pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley or any fresh herb of choice
How to make it?
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and water together with a fork.
- Roll both pastry sheets out onto lightly floured surface, and brush them with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese, Urfa pepper, sesame seeds and chopped parsley evenly onto one sheet, and place the other sheet over the filling, egg side down. Roll gently with a rolling pin to seal.
- Cut the pastry diagonally into ½ inch thick strips.
- Hold each strip on both ends and twist. Brush the twists with the egg wash.
- Place strips on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with additional Urfa pepper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned and puffed.
Cool and serve at room temperature.