Cheddar Crusted Apple Pie
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar (6 ounces)
1/4 - 1/2 cup ice water
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 ½ pounds apples, peeled, cored, and each cut into 10 wedges
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
For The Pie Crust
For The Filling
For The Crust
In a food processor, briefly pulse flour, salt, and sugar.
Add butter and cheddar; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons ice water. Pulse just until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon at a time).
Divide into two disks. Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Fold plastic over dough; press to shape into a 1-inch-thick disk. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (or up to 3 days).
For The Apple Filling
- Put a large baking sheet on middle oven rack and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, zest, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and 2/3 cup sugar in a large bowl. Gently toss with apples and lemon juice.
Roll out 1 piece of dough (keep remaining piece chilled) on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round.
Fit it into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim edge, leaving a 1/2 inch over-hang. Refrigerate shell while you roll out dough for top crust.
- Roll out remaining piece of dough on lightly floured surface into an 11-inch round.
Spoon filling into shell. Cover pie with pastry round and trim with kitchen shears, leaving a 1/2 inch over hang.* Press edges together, then crimp decoratively.
Lightly brush top of pie with egg and sprinkle all over with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. With a small sharp knife, cut three steam vents in the top of the crust.
Bake pie on hot baking sheet for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375º F and continue to bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, about 40 minutes more.
Cool pie on a rack to warm or room temperature, 2 to 3 hours.
*If you are doing a lattice, you can visit The Kitchn for instructions.